Overview of the John Locke Institute Essay Competition
- The John Locke Institute organizes an annual Essay Competition for young individuals.
- The competition promotes the development of essential skills like independent thought, clear reasoning, critical analysis, and persuasive writing.
- Participants have the opportunity to explore challenging and intriguing questions beyond their regular school curriculum.
- Senior academics from the University of Oxford evaluate all essay submissions.
- Prizes are awarded in seven subjects: Philosophy, Politics, Economics, History, Psychology, Theology, and Law.
Registration and Eligibility for this Essay Writing Competition
- The registration deadline is 31 May 2023, and all candidates must register before this date.
- Registration opens on 1 April 2023.
- Participants must possess an active email address to complete the registration process.
- Only students aged 18 or younger (or 14 or younger for the Junior category) on 30 June 2023 are eligible for prizes or commendations.
- Entry to the competition is free.
Submission Guidelines in the John Lucke Institute International Essay Writing Competition
- All entries must be submitted by 30 June 2023.
- Essays should focus on one of the questions within the chosen subject category.
- The maximum word count for each essay is 2000 words (excluding diagrams, tables, footnotes, bibliography, and authorship declaration).
- File naming format for PDF submissions: FirstName-LastName-Category-QuestionNumber.pdf.
Referee and Verification in this essay competition for students
- Each candidate must provide the email address of an academic referee familiar with their written academic work.
- The referee should be a school teacher or a responsible adult who is not related to the candidate.
- The John Locke Institute contacts the referee to verify the authenticity of the submitted essay.
Evaluation Criteria in this writing competition
- Essays are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Level of knowledge and understanding of the relevant material.
- Competent use of evidence.
- Quality of argumentation.
- Structure, writing style, and persuasive force.
- Candidates are advised to answer the essay question with precision and clarity.