Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition: Showcasing Emerging Illustrators and Fostering Global Connections in the Children's Book Industry
About the Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition
The Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition is an internationally recognized illustration contest held annually as part of the prestigious China Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair (CCBF). This competition serves as a valuable platform for emerging illustrators to showcase their talent and establish connections with children's publishers on a global scale.
The competition offers two distinct categories:
- Book Publishing Category: This category invites illustrators to submit their works that are suitable for publication in children's books. It emphasizes the artistic representation of stories and concepts aimed at young readers.
- Commercial Category: The commercial category encourages illustrators to demonstrate their artistic versatility and commercial value through diverse forms of expression. It promotes collaboration and communication between illustrators, brands, and advertisers.
The Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition welcomes participation from a wide range of individuals and organizations:
- Illustrators aged between 16 and 39 (born between 1 January 1984 and 31 December 2007) are eligible to compete, regardless of their nationality.
- The competition is open to professional illustrators, art school students, and passionate illustration enthusiasts.
- Entries can be submitted by individuals, advertisers, schools, associations, and authorized third-party organizations on behalf of the illustrators.
- Publishing houses can also enter artworks from their own catalog as long as they are selected from original publications.
Awards and Recognition
The Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition provides a range of prestigious awards and unique opportunities to honor exceptional talent:
- Golden Pinwheel Grand Award: This award recognizes the two most outstanding artworks in each category—one from China and one from overseas.
- Golden Pinwheel Special Mentions: Additional recognition is given to exceptional illustrations that demonstrate remarkable artistic skills and creativity.
- People's Choice Award: The competition includes a special award category where the public can vote for their favorite illustrations.
- Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition Astra Award: This joint award in collaboration with the Astra International Picture Book Writing Contest promotes international collaboration and publication among picture book illustrators and writers.
- Key Visual Design: One award-winning illustrator from the Book Publishing Category will be selected by the CCBF Organizing Committee to design the key visual for the 2024 edition of the China Shanghai International Children's Book Fair.
- Yearbook and Exhibition: All 100 finalists (50 from each category) will be prominently featured in the 2023 CCBF Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition Yearbook. Their artworks will also be exhibited at the Golden Pinwheel Illustration Exhibition held during the book fair at the Shanghai World Expo Exhibition and Convention Centre (SWEECC).
- International Book Fair Invitations: The winners of the Golden Pinwheel Grand Award (China) and Golden Pinwheel Grand Award (International) in the Book Publishing Category will receive invitations to attend renowned international book fairs. This includes an invitation for the Chinese winner to participate in the Bologna International Children's Book Fair.
- Partnership with M.latin: The competition offers an exciting opportunity for finalists to sign a contract with M.latin, a renowned Chinese children's clothing brand. This partnership creates a platform for illustrators to expand their artistic reach and collaborate with different creative industries.
Note: For complete details and terms of participation, please refer to the official regulations of the Golden Pinwheel Young Illustrators Competition.