21st Annual Tom Howard/Margaret Reid Global Poetry Contest
The 21st Annual Tom Howard/Margaret Reid Poetry Contest by Winning Writers is a prestigious writing international competition open to School Students, College Students, Amateur & Professional Poets. Hosted by Winning Writers, a renowned literary organization with an impecabble literary journal located in Western Massachusetts, this contest offers an exciting opportunity for young poets to showcase their talent and creativity.
About Winning Writers
Winning Writers, founded by Jendi Reiter and Adam Cohen in 2001, is dedicated to discovering and promoting quality resources for poets and writers. With a strong commitment to diversity and inclusivity, they encourage authors from all genders, backgrounds, and abilities to share their unique perspectives through high-quality original writing.
- Submission Deadline: September 30, 2023
- Maximum Length: Each poem should be no longer than 250 lines
- Age Restrictions: There are no age restrictions for participating authors
- Location: Authors from all countries are eligible to participate, except for Syria, Iran, North Korea, Crimea, Russia, and Belarus due to US government restrictions
- First Time Entering: If you are new to the contest, Winning Writers has provided a helpful video guide to assist you
- Results Announcement: The winners of the 21st contest will be announced on April 15, 2024
- Entry Fee: $22 per submission of 1-3 poems. Participants can submit multiple entries.
Prizes for 21st Annual Tom Howard/Margaret Reid Global Poetry Contest
The Tom Howard Prize and the Margaret Reid Prize are the main awards of the 21st Annual Tom Howard/Margaret Reid Global Poetry Contest, each offering a cash prize of $3,000 (approximately Rs. 2.45L+). The Tom Howard Prize is open to poems in any style or genre, while the Margaret Reid Prize specifically honors poems & poetry that rhyme or have a traditional style.
In addition to the cash prizes, the top two winners will receive two-year gift certificates from the co-sponsor, Duotrope, valued at $100 (Rs. 8k+). Furthermore, there will be ten Honourable Mentions, each receiving an award of $200 (Rs. 16k+) per poem. The top 12 entries, including the winning poems, will be published online.
Submission Guidelines for 21st Annual Tom Howard/Margaret Reid Global Poetry Competition
- Submissions can be published or unpublished work.
- Each submission may contain up to three poems.
- Authors are requested to omit their name from the entries.
- The preferred font size is 12-point or larger, using standard fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial, or Verdana.
- Accepted file formats for submission include .doc, .docx, .pdf, .odt, .rtf, or .txt.
Definition of a Traditional Style Poem
A poem in a traditional style refers to one that incorporates regular meter and/or rhyme, or is written in a recognized poetic form. This can include traditional Western forms like ballads, sonnets, and blank verse, as well as Asian forms such as tanka and haiku, among others.
Don't miss out on this excellent opportunity to participate in the 21st Annual Tom Howard/Margaret Reid Poetry Contest. Submit your poems before September 30, 2023, and stand a chance to win cash prizes, gain recognition, and have your work published online!