Oxford Big Read Global Contest for Kids & School Students is a prestigious reading competition for kids, especially primary and secondary school students in India. This reading contest for kids is organized by Oxford University Press India (OUP), and aims to promote reading, literacy, and critical thinking among kids, and young learners. Participants are required to read Oxford University Press Readers/Books and engage in age-appropriate activities related to the books they choose, such as writing critical reviews of Oxford University Press Books.
Who can participate in this Reading Contest by Oxford?
Students studying in Indian schools from, junior school to middle school are eligible to participate in the Oxford Big Read Global Contest 2023 for students. The Oxford reading competition spans classes 1-9, and each class participates according to their respective level category. International schools are also invited to join the competition for the third year, expanding its reach beyond national boundaries.
What are the levels in this reading competition?
- Level 1 (Classes 1-3): Students in this level are tasked with designing a new book jacket for the book they have read. The book jacket should include the title, author, illustration, and a brief description of the book in two sentences.
- Level 2 (Classes 4-6): Students in this level are required to write an interesting description of the book they have read. The description should include the title, author, type of story, setting, main characters, their likes and dislikes about the book, and suggestions for changes to the story if any.
- Level 3 (Classes 7-9): Students in this level are challenged to write a critical review of an Oxford University Press book. The review should include the title, author, type of story, setting, main characters, and their analysis and evaluation of the book. They also have the option to compare and contrast two different books.
Oxford Big Read Global Contest for Kids & School Students Competition Dates
- May 1, 2023: Oxford Big Read competition begins
- October 5, 2023: Deadline to send entries from schools
- October 30, 2023: National winners announced
- November 30, 2023: Global winners announced